Afterwards we did what the French do, and paused to discuss it over a cappuccino in a nearby café. We bonded a bit, as do the French, and shared the differences and similarities of our personal beliefs. Good thing to do in Paris on a Sunday afternoon.
Next church hop stop: Notre Dame by day. Although we had already experienced its wonders by night, there was no leaving Paris without seeing firsthand how the light plays as it streams through the colors of her stained glass windows.
We learned to recognize the tiny focal point in the rose window to the left of the altar, Mary and Jesus done in shades of emerald green. Stunning.
The third hop was a smaller gothic, the Sainte Chappelle. I was once told that visiting the Sainte Chappelle was like being inside a jewel case. Its floor to ceiling stained glass windows are a feast of colors uninterrupted by other structure. The windows compose most of each wall…like soaring sheets of jewels of every color.

We all three just sat and stared. I think that the architects of the time must have been very intent on using their new technology to create something to make God happy, and His children feel closer to Heaven.

We all three just sat and stared. I think that the architects of the time must have been very intent on using their new technology to create something to make God happy, and His children feel closer to Heaven.

We completed our sensory feasting by a culinary one. Dropping down into the metro, we arrived in the Saint Germain district, where Dave and I had had a wonderful meal several years ago at a creperie.
I was hoping I could find it again, and within minutes, VOILA! What the stained glass masterpieces were to our visual senses, the various flavors and textures of the crepes would be to our tastebuds. Among the delicacies were salads with very fresh and fragrant olive oil dressing, crepes with fillings of spinach and varied French cheeses, crepes with ham, goat cheese, crème sauces, and finally, dessert crepes. Ely and I split the pear belle Helene with apple compote, raspberry drizzle, chocolate, and heavy cream. Marie Helene went with the simplicity of the crepes aux beurre et sucre. Very good choices.
Marie-Helene took leave of us to do some errands, and Ely and I went on to shop a bit in the St. Germain shops, and head out to the Tour Eiffel.
There was nearly a two hour wait, so instead we took the train to Versailles, where Aurelien awaited us for the Paris by night tour with chauffeur:
Aurelien! There is no better way to tour Paris than with a Frenchman and his mother!
Among the highlights were the glistening golden facade of the Opera, the glittering shopping district of Place des Vosges, with its animations in shop windows and zoomie displays with light shows for Christmas. We saw every main district and every monument together tonight, which left it all indelible in our memories.
Bonne nuit, et merci beaucoup, cheris.

















Hillsong, I know of them ha ha. That's cool... Nice pic on the stain glass window.
ReplyDeleteThe stained glass windows were beautiful. Did you happen to notice the floors of the Sainte Chappelle? I thought they were as lovely as the windows.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely loved the stained glass windows as well. Pure beauty and a real work of art, I must say.
ReplyDeleteThe stained glass windows look spectacular! Must have whoever made them a great amount of time to get all that detail in.
ReplyDeleteThe stained glass windows look amazing! There is so much detail and color in each one.
ReplyDeleteLike the other comments, the stained glass windows were beautiful to look at. I'm also a fan of Hillsong, so I will have to copy this day during my future vacation.
ReplyDeleteMust have taken**
ReplyDeleteThose churches are beautiful! The stained glass windows are so detailed! What a lovely way to spend a Sunday.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like this day was fantastic! Beautiful pictures of some of the most elegant stained glass. We also had a breakfast nook in our hotel in Paris and I remember my favorite part being the pain au chocolat.
ReplyDeleteI loved the pictures of the stained glass windows. The churches are absolutely beautiful and I love the detail that goes into every part whether it's the walls or ceilings.
ReplyDeletethe stained glass in the church is really neat and coffee seems to be a big part in the trip.
ReplyDeleteThat stained glass is mind blowing. All of the fancy French food sounds so good too, but then again anything sounds good compared to dorm food.
ReplyDeleteOh, the croissants and pain au chocolate looked so delightful! I almost couldn't read the read of the blog because I got trapped into that. Breakfast and food in France is so deferent than American foods. Fresh bread stores, fresh fruits sold at the street markets. They just seem much healthier and look a whole lot better for you!
ReplyDeleteYes agree, it is really a good choice to start with a delicious piece of Croissant, the French are the best ever on it.I really want to try it one day . The picture of Cathedrale Notre Dame is just a blessing to the heart and the eyes, with all these huge tainted and decorated glass windows. I think this Cathedrale is the most outsanding and smartest master piece of structure that had been ever built in the whole world. The picture with Eiffel tower, I can imagine how Eiffel tower looks like through the night with all the lumiere and the beauty.
ReplyDeleteThe stained glass window look soooo beautiful! Can't wait to see some in France myself.
ReplyDelete