We dropped into the Metro and popped out at Charles de Gaulle Etoile to begin our day in the afternoon. Our day was to have been composed of a long walk from one end of the Champs Elysees to the other with a bit of window shopping, a nice meal, and some historic encounters as a preview to the following day at the Louvre.
Instead, it seems that Paris was having a bad case of the flu. During the course of the next nine hours, having been robbed by a cluster of ten year old bandits in the middle of a fine restaurant in broad daylight (how does this HAPPEN? Highlight: mental snapshot of the day, my triathlete daughter running full tilt down the Champs Elysees chasing a gaggle of boys who promptly vanish into thin air with her iPhone), we were utterly astonished at the sheer volume and flurry of activity. We had had (albeit somewhat strained) interactions with le Commissariat de Police, the media geek at a store called "Virgin Mobile," the restaurant owner, a terribly substandard waitress, and a group of nice people at the local Al Anon meeting. The meal itself was indeed fitting for a Thanksgiving in Paris (a succulent pave de saumon, a refreshing ratatouille, tagliatelle, salade avec chevre chaux, mousse au chocolat and creme brulee), - and eventually given to us for free - Blessing #2. Still debating whether or not it was worth the price of the iPhone.
There is no denying the wonder and glitter of the Champs Elysees by night, all dressed up for Christmas - Blessing #3. We were struck, however, by the juxtaposition that gloriously extravagant celebration exists within a cadre of evil to which we, as yet, are not accustomed - blessing #4. Paris is changing...as a reflection of the present world where children are not protected. (What kind of person trains a child to steal for them?)
Among the sweeter memories of this Thanksgiving night were a doggie named Bijou, the carols in the air, and the various culinary delights of the season from many nations, presented in booth after booth of brightly twinkling lights and deep fragrances of diverse kinds from specialty wood-grilled meats and roasted chestnuts to mulled wines and tiny fluted sugar cakes.
In some measure healed by it all, we prayed for the boys in the gang, and set off to retrieve our luggage and move to Versailles.
But Paris continued to throw up on us....and we would arrive at Versailles much later than intended, having suffered this time from misinformation that often happens during periods of construction in the metro, although no one here is in agreement as to what really was the problem...it's a French thing, I think. Anyway, it was a series of perfect storms, as it were, that got us in to our new hotel (grace a Dieu - blessing #5) in the middle of the night, having missed dinner with my friend, wearied of travel in general and concluding that we did not, in fact, love Paris. Boo for you, bad old Paris. Get well soon, s'il vous plait.
Once safely installed in our new room, we blacked out around 3 a.m. To be continued...










Oh dear, you girls had quite a rough day! At least you will have some unique stories from your trip. We will be praying for a smoother day tomorrow, though!
ReplyDeleteOh madame... I am sorry to hear that you had such a difficult time in Paris yesterday! However, it seems as though you enjoyed some delicious food! I just wanted to let you and your daughter know that if it is either an iPhone 4 or an iPhone 4s that is up to date with Apple's iOS (operating system)and your daughter has set up iCloud on the device, there should be an option at iCloud.com called "Find My iPhone." I hope that the rest of your vacation runs much more smoothly than Saturday!
ReplyDeleteWow that's an interesting adventure...
ReplyDeleteSorry that Paris did not turn out how you had hoped.
ReplyDeleteOh la la! I have read your trip posts in reverse order, so I can say I'm glad that everyday was not like this one!
ReplyDeleteWow that must of been a crazy time for sure. I am sorry that things didn't work out so well in Paris this time around!
ReplyDeleteBy looking at the pictures, it looks like you guys were eating inside. Why in the world was there a group of random boys walking around in a restaurant is my question?
ReplyDeleteWow what a day...yet I hope as you look bad on a bad day, there are good memories and hopefully a few laughs!
ReplyDeleteI have been reading this in reverse order as well, so I am glad that your whole trip was not like this day. But what a crazy, adventurous day it seemed to be!
ReplyDeleteIt is too bad that all the negative things happened that day, but at least you saw the silver linings in everything.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry this day did not turn out as planned! At least the days to follow were much different and a lot more fun! I love the pictures of the food, looks very yummy!
ReplyDeleteNot the best luck in Paris, but all the pictures seem like a fun time.
ReplyDeleteI am actually curious, how did that robbery in the restaurant go down? I mean if it was a busy restaurant especially. Or was it more like a pick-pocket thing? You make me hungry with all this delicious food.
ReplyDeleteThat is definitely unexpected, the whole getting robbed by kids thing! It's something you could laugh about at a later date though :P
ReplyDeleteGetting robbed is shocking enough in itself. Getting robbed in a foreign country is just taking it to another level. I couldn't image being in a place that I've never been to and having people tell you to empty your wallets, etc. glad that everything turned out though and everyone was safe!
ReplyDeleteI am getting really hungrey seeing the meals pictures along with its written francaise description. it is just so inviting.
ReplyDeleteand regarding the robbery section, I have a relative who had visited paris 3 years ago and he got robbed while he was on the Metro. it seems that this is normal thing in Paris... I do not know ??? I Need to go by myself and see, and I want also to take pictures in the champs elysees, everyone talk about this street, I can see from the pictures why it is very special place, especially during chrismas time.